The Weet-Bix TRYathlon is an awesome event and you’re going to have a LOT of fun!
So that you enjoy the bike leg of the triathlon as much as possible, follow these tips to make sure you and your bike are ready for the event:
Does your bike fit you?
- Make sure you can easily stand over the bike. Is there 5-15cm between your crotch and the top tube of the bike frame?
- Check that you can reach the handlebars without stretching too far.
- Make sure that the seat is not too high and not too low. Is there a nice gentle bend in your knee?
- A basic guide is:
- 2-4 years old 12” Kids Bike (12” wheel size)
- 3-6 years old 16” Kids Bike (16” wheel size)
- 5-8 years old 20” Kids Bike (20” wheel size)
- 7+ years old 24” Kids Bike (24” wheel size)
Is your bike in good condition?
- Check that the brakes work, but are not rubbing while you ride.
- Check that all the bolts are tight.
- Make sure your tyres are pumped up to the correct pressure. You can find the recommended pressure on the side of the tyre.
- Feel free to take your bike into your local Trek retailer to have them check it if you have any concerns.
Tips for getting your bike to the event
- If you don’t have a roof or tow ball mounted bike carrier and need to put your bike in the car:
- Take careful note of how you take a wheel off the bike as you will need to put it back in properly when you arrive to the event.
- If the bike has disc brakes do not pull the brake lever when the wheel is out as it may jam your brakes on permanently.
- If you have any doubts there will be a Trek representative at the event on the day providing free safety checks on bikes prior to your start.
Most importantly, have fun!
- Bike riding is:
- A) Fun
- B) A good way to exercise
- C) A great way to explore
- D) The best way to get around
If you have any issues with your bike, or any questions, you should take your bike to your local Trek dealer for them to check it for you.